Heterophragma Quadriloculare

Heterophragma Quadriloculare is called waras वारस in marathi.

I have seen many waras trees in the jungles in mumbai-pune-nashik area but when I saw two waras trees in Amboli, I was pleasantly surprised.

All the while, I had assumed that waras always grows in jungle but in Amboli, I found a huge, approx 20 meter tall tree standing in the compound of a house.  I had noticed the white flowers of this tree during one previous visit but the flowers were at the top and it was impossible to identify  them from ground level.  I had not dreamt in my wildest dream that I would meet waras in a village set up. There was hardly a flower or two at the top  without any sign of any flower elsewhere, so I assumed that it must be some vine reaching the top  and flowering.

This time when I went to Amboli, I checked the tree for flowers.   And I noticed some white bunches at different places on the tree.  But again it was difficult to identify the flowers due to the tree's height.  So I entered the compound and searched for any fallen flower.  When I found one, I was shocked to find that it was none other than waras.   The curious house owner lady told me  it's local name.  But it was very difficult to remember.


This is the flower that I found.



Next day morning, I went to Hiranyakeshi for my morning walk.  On the road  I found a very young waras tree in full bloom.  So far I had seen all waras trees in jungle, from a distance.  And within a span of two days, I found a full grown wapas and a baby waras which was neigher huge nor inaccessible.  This one was adorned with beautiful flowers and buds... Below are some snaps.













Comments

Popular Posts