Amboli : A rare Gem of Sahyadri Ghat

Since a long time, I have been thinking about starting a blog about the flora that I find in Amboli during my infrequent visits.


Amboli is a quiet village in the Sahayadri Hills of Western India, one of the world's "Eco Hot-Spots" and it abounds in unusual flora and fauna.

However, as in the other parts of the Sahaydri Hills, denudation of the forest cover and unregulated developments are gradually ruining a once-pristine environment..

At an altitude of 690 m (2,260 ft) Amboli is the last hill station before the coastal highlands of Goa.

Amboli happens to be my ancestral village and I have been watching it's environmental deterioration over last fifty years.

It's not only government apathy, people in Amboli too are equally apathetic about the environment.  They have no care for the rare flora found in and around Amboli.

Only a handful Amboli youths are aware of the environmental importance of flora and fauna found at Amboli.  They are trying to preserve the nature at Amboli through the NGO Malabar Nature Conservation Club.  

Through this blog, I am trying to list the flora found there.  I am not very good at photography, neither I have good cameras to capture minute details of the flora, but still, I want to note down whatever I found there before it all gets lost...

Praying to God that Amboli will regain it's past glory.

Comments

Popular Posts